Calle 13 Rapper Destroys Own Maserati with a Baseball Bat -- Wealth Is Killing Hip Hop [VIDEO]


030614_calle13_launch_v2

Calle 13 rapper René Pérez Joglar is leading the charge against conspicuous consumption in the hip hop world -- he just beat his own Maserati to pieces and drove it off a cliff ... all to prove the point that money is killing music.


René pulled off the stunt for his new music video "Adentro" -- and if that wasn't cool enough ... baseball legend Willie Mays actually hands him the bat.


Rene tells us, "I bought the Maserati because I myself fell victim to the stereotypes. I thought that once I had a nice house and a nice car that meant I had made it in the entertainment industry."


He adds, "When I started using the car, it made me feel uncomfortable owning it ... because I realized that the car stood for everything that is wrong with society ... Material goods aren't what makes life worthwhile."


When is TMZ Sports?