Don Pardo Dead -- Legendary 'SNL' Announcer Dies at 96


breaking news


0818-don-pardon-getty-03


Don Pardo -- the man who famously announced "It's Saturday Night Live!" from the very first episode of "SNL" -- passed away Monday night at the age of 96 at his home in Tucson, AZ ... NBC officials confirm.


Details surrounding Pardo's death are unclear.


Pardo was hand-picked for the "SNL" job by the show's creator Lorne Michaels -- and was featured on every single episode from 1975 until March 2013 ... when he missed 2 shows after suffering a broken hip.


But like the champ he was ... Pardo got back to work after he healed up and continued to serve as "SNL" announcer when the show resumed in September.


Former "SNL" writer John Mulaney tweeted moments ago ... saying, "Goodbye Don Pardo. You worked from World War II until this May. You were cool as hell. I'm very lucky I got to talk to you those few times."


Dane Cook also posted a message about Pardo -- saying, "I always wanted to host SNL and it was a lifelong mission. When I got it and got to NYC I had 1 must. Get a photo with the great Don Pardo. His voice set the tone of the show and hearing him usher in each host with his booming hijinx-y role call was in my dreams but saying my name finally. My dream came true. Thank you sir for spending time chatting and introducing me to America on that special Saturday night."